Sunday, June 24, 2012

Quilt Block-of-the-Month #3

Ah, decisions, decisions!  I think this quilt is more about decisions than about sewing sometimes.  I had wanted to work more "cool" colors into the second quilt block, but somehow, I didn't.  So I thought I would continue that color palette for the third block, since it will be arranged diagonally with the second block.  I seem to have purple on my mind this month.  But at the same time, I must also leave some color options for the other two blocks in this four-block arrangement.

Here is the third block:




Again, it is missing the borders, but I will decide that after next month's blocks are together.  Although the colors seem pretty simple - green and purple- there are really four different fabrics in this block.  But the visual detail mostly comes from the patterns and colors of stitching that were used.

Many different stitches - each with different stitch widths and lengths were practiced, before deciding which ones would look the best.  My Bernina is an old mechanical 1031, so it does not have a lot of stitches the newer computerized machines have.  But I don't care.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  It is the best machine I have ever sewn on and I am grateful to have it!  Let's just say I have to figure out how to achieve some of the desired "looks" without simply pushing that button on my machine.  The "circular tool" was the newly introduced tool this month.  The corners of this block were cut from a circle which was first embroidered with this tool.  I was unable to use one for my older machine, so I had to make do without it.  But that is okay.  It gave me the opportunity to really use my skills and a little ingenuity to achieve the same look without it.


Btw, the owner of the Bernina store was looking at my machine while I was at class this month and said this was the machine that he just can't keep in the store.  It was only made for one year, so there aren't many of them.  He said whenever he gets one in on a trade, it is gone the same day!


3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love it! Beautiful colors, incredible stitching!!!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tara! Next Sunday I will post the four center blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...what a masterpiece this will be! Those stitches are incredible. I didn't even know sewing machines did this, and btw, you deserve that Bernina!

    ReplyDelete